The NBB is a department of the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience (NIN). The NIN is an institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) and is situated in Amsterdam. The laboratory and tissue storage facilities and main NBB staff are located at the NIN. All autopsies are performed in VU University Medical Center (VUmc), Amsterdam.
The NBB donor communication team organizes donor recruitment and registration, and other public relations activities. It arranges autopsies and makes sure the donors' files are completed and summarized after the autopsy. The NBB laboratory staff cuts and stains all tissue for neuropathological diagnosis, stores and administrates tissue and data. The laboratory staff and tissue supply team communicate with researchers who request samples, and prepare the tissue samples for shipment to researchers. Autopsies are performed by a pathologist (VUmc), a mortuary assistant (VUmc) and two autopsy assistants (NBB / NIN), available 24/7.
For the NBB-Psy program, the NBB collaborates with several other organizations. More information about the organizational structure of NBB-Psy is available on the NBB-Psy website.
From the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience
Personnel from VUmc
Autopsy team NBB / Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience
The team consists of technicians from the NBB and students, researchers and technicians from other organizations who participate in the team on an on-call basis.
Scientific committee (Tissue Advisory Board)
All tissue applications received by the NBB are reviewed by our scientific committee on quality of the proposed research and scientific merit. The scientific committee consists of:
- I. Huitinga, PhD; Neuroimmunology
- M. Kooreman, BAS; Technical coordinator
- J.M. Rozemuller, MD, PhD (VUmc, Amsterdam), Neuropathology
- J. Verhaagen, PhD (Netherlands Institute of Neuroscience, Amsterdam), Molecular biology
- M. Mizee, PhD; postdoc researcher NBB-Psy
Additional members for NBB-Psy applications (brain material of donors with a psychiatric diagnosis):
- Prof. Dr. P. Eikelenboom, emeritus professor of geriatric psychiatry
- Dr. S. Palmen, clinical coordinator NBB-Psy and (child) psychiatrist UMC Utrecht
- Prof. dr. D.A.J.P. Denys (Psychiatry)
- Prof. mr. dr. J.K.M. Gevers (Health Law)
- Prof. dr. P. Heutink (Genetics)
- Drs. A.A. Keizer (Geriatrics)
- Prof. dr. H.P.H. Kremer (Neurology)
- Dr. E. Marchiori (Informatics)
- Prof. dr. C.H. Polman (Neurology)
- Prof. dr. P. van der Valk (Pathology)
The NBB thanks the following employees of the VUmc and the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience for their support:
- J. van Veldhuisen and R. Otsen of the photography department of the VUmc.
- All members of the incident room and the reception desk of the VUmc.
- H. Stoffels, graphic designer of the Netherlands Institute of Neuroscience